[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)

West of Scotland RSOC • View topic - Marks Moonstone Blue sierra 3dr .

Marks Moonstone Blue sierra 3dr .

For all your resto & rebuild Pics.

Marks Moonstone Blue sierra 3dr .

Postby Markp » Wed Nov 05, 2014 1:31 pm

Hi folks , thought I would start a build thread on here for my new cossie . Been after a 3 dr for many years. I looked for one id be happy with for about a year and explored all avenues. Price was the major factor as I didn't have a large amount of cash to just go out and buy a minter. So I searched the web for about a year every day until a car came up locally I had my eye on . Managed to strike a deal with the owner we were both happy with (from a forum member).

The sierras In need of some tlc due to being off the road dry stored for the past 7 years but it's a solid honest example .

joined two mates in a unit they rent out in Glasgow both are mechanics so its ideal having just about any tool to hand. Im hoping to learn a bit about these cars and carry out most work myself so its going to be my first big project with some help along the way . here are some pics of it in the unit.

Had a day off work so started messing about on the sierra yesterday . Brakes and suspension have seen better days so stripped them off.. Callipers will be rebuild/painted and I'll order some new bilstein shocks and springs at standard ride height .

Polybush kit ordered and subframe and all components will be going to get powder coated and generally cleaned up .. Plan for winter is get it driving properly and sort the small jobs out . Not too concerned about paint for time being.

Stripped the kit off it and luckily not a great deal of rust to tackle so far , this was a big worry before buying the car . It's had some welding in the past on the sills but to be expected so overall happy with how its looking . The car was built 3 years before I was even born so its unlike most cars i`ve previously owned and its my first ford. Only had the pleasure of driving it for a few days before it went into the garage but in that time its proved to be all I expected.

cheers to ali McMillan and john on here for sorting me out with info and allowing me to view their cars . :wink:

any comments welcome.
Last edited by Markp on Tue Dec 09, 2014 12:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
Markp

Re: Marks Moonstone Blue sierra 3dr .

Postby gibby » Wed Nov 05, 2014 7:26 pm

Good to see you got a car mark and local to which is a bonus
gibby
Club Member
Club Member

Postby Markp » Thu Nov 06, 2014 11:35 am

thanks gibby appreciated.
Markp

Postby JPA » Thu Nov 06, 2014 7:17 pm

Good luck with the car mark , hope all goes well

John :wink:
JPA
Club Member
Club Member

Postby Mel D » Thu Nov 06, 2014 7:58 pm

Looks like you've got a good project for winter :D
Mel D

Postby andy-mac » Thu Nov 06, 2014 8:04 pm

looks like a good car and the best colour :)
andy-mac
Club Member
Club Member

Postby John. » Fri Nov 07, 2014 6:26 am

Good luck with the car Mark, glad to hear you got sorted in the end.
John.
Club Member
Club Member

Postby Grant » Fri Nov 07, 2014 5:53 pm

Looks lovely! Always loved the 3drs :) actually spotted one today hiding up the back of a unit in paisley, a rare sight!
Grant
Website Gaffer
Website Gaffer

Postby Markp » Sat Dec 06, 2014 11:48 pm

Been down the unit a few times recently for a couple hours at a time .. Subframe has been dropped and all rear suspension now off the car . Will take it over to powder tech next week when I get paid . I've started under sealing the arches and rubbed them back to near enough bare metal , fronts came out pretty well .. removed the old bushes which wasn't fun but its done now.

Gave the prop shaft a paint as it was pretty rough looking , cracked the diff open to add the new seal kit so oil looked like it's never been changed.

Removed the rest of the kit and discovered an area of rot that'll need attention .. This was a worry when buying a Cossie as so many suffer .. Luckily it'll just need a sill on the n/s and it only cost me £25 .

bits and bobs

Standard Cam belt cover and airbox . Also got a set of roose performance boost pipes as originals are gubbed . Just buying things when I can really .

Last edited by Markp on Tue Dec 09, 2014 12:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Markp

Postby Dereksjoint » Sun Dec 07, 2014 1:17 pm

Loving it mate 8-) best of luck with the winter freshen up ;)

I would love a 3 Door without a doubt my favorite RS model but I've came to the realization that I will probably never own one now due to the way the prices are going :cry:
Dereksjoint
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Markp » Sun Dec 07, 2014 3:57 pm

cheers mate appreciated , I know what you mean about owning one really the only reason I have is I still live in my mums house and decided to get my hands on one needing work as the prices are going through the roof. No doubt at some point soon they will dip . Just keep your eyes out as you never know where they are hiding.
Markp

Postby Mel D » Sun Dec 07, 2014 4:14 pm

Looks like you've been kept busy, all sounds like it's progressing well :D
Mel D

Postby Markp » Sun Dec 21, 2014 2:49 pm

Bought some bits, dropped the fuel tank and decided just to get a fresh one ordered . Also bought some new suspension. Decided to try out avo shocks and springs. Started rebuilding the driveshafts, got them broken down and cleaner all components in petrol. Gave the shafts a sand then painted matt black . New boots and greased them up. Waiting on new set of bolts to come but they're looking fresh.

Parts off to get powder coated .

Cleaning up the diff now as it's got 30 years worth of grime .. Needs minimal welding and should be ready to under seal start building up suspension , brakes lines by mid jan ..

Cheers
Markp

Postby Markp » Sun Jan 04, 2015 4:34 pm

I was lucky enough to have some areas of welding sorted out over the weekend by a pal who works in a fabrication shop, he's done a cracking job sorting out the rotten arch and a couple other small areas .

While he was cutting and welding I set about cleaning up the diff and diving it a lock of fresh paint . About 30 years of grime clinging to it ..

Wee keyring I got for Christmas

Last edited by Markp on Mon Jan 05, 2015 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Markp

Postby JPA » Sun Jan 04, 2015 9:59 pm

Looking good mark , tidy job the guy has done there 8-)

Btw don't bin any standard bits that come off as I know somebody looking for stuff like boost hoses etc

John ;)
JPA
Club Member
Club Member

Postby Markp » Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:29 pm

Cheers john , no sweat let me know what he needs and I'll give him the stuff if I have it spare .
Markp

Postby Markp » Sun Jan 11, 2015 10:50 pm

Collected some stuff from powder coaters

Heatwrapped and cleaned up the exhaust

Welding finished off and just to strip the old sealer and hit it with por15

Markp

Postby peterRST » Sun Jan 11, 2015 11:18 pm

Good work there :)

PBS Engineering Ltd - Performance Engines and Motorsport Prep.
Zetec, ZVH and xflow engine building.
PEC Engine Components. KSport Braking Systems. BC Racing Suspension.
peterRST
Club Member
Club Member

Postby Markp » Mon Feb 09, 2015 10:31 pm

How the axle looks just now after powder coating , new bearings , pads , discs , calipers lines , hoses polybushes

New rad and hoses still to be fitted

New belts , water pump . Oil pump temp sensir fitted

Have the cooling plate a new skin of aluminium as old was tatty
Markp

Postby Markp » Mon Feb 09, 2015 10:42 pm

Steering column removed in prep for new bushes

Steering rack was leaking so had it reconditioned . Cheers to john for getting me in touch with the garage who sorted me out ,
great service .

Photo bucket acting up so more pics to be added . Car should be back together later this month then upto automek for a geo wheel alignment . A mates moving house and has offered me his garage so can will be in a secure garage not far from my house .
Markp

Next

Return to Restorations & Rebuilds