[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)

West of Scotland RSOC • View topic - My Series 1's Transformation and Modernisation

My Series 1's Transformation and Modernisation

For all your resto & rebuild Pics.

Re: My Series 1's Transformation and Modernisation

Postby stormracer » Sat Dec 06, 2014 5:29 pm

Looking good Derek 8-) 8-) 8-)
stormracer

Postby Dereksjoint » Sun Dec 07, 2014 12:34 pm

Dereksjoint
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Ade » Tue Jan 13, 2015 5:49 pm

Looking forward to seeing this all come together! Should be a cracker.

:D
Ade
Club Member
Club Member

Postby Dereksjoint » Sat Jan 17, 2015 12:30 am

Dereksjoint
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Dereksjoint » Thu Mar 05, 2015 10:23 pm

Not updated the thread in a while due to moving house and working away from home to pay for it all

The boys at MJ Racing have now finished the fab work and have removed the last of the parts from the shell

New Gearbox Mount

New Torsion Bar Mount

New Engine Top Mount

And 1 Bare Shell

It then sat about for a couple of weeks but it had some good company

The Shell and all the panels are now at SPL in the queue waiting to be dipped which can take 3 to 4 weeks so it's a waiting game now.
Dereksjoint
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Dereksjoint » Thu Apr 02, 2015 10:42 pm

Well after 5 weeks at SPL I finally got the call on Monday to say the shell and panels were ready to be picked up

Managed to get the shell transported back up on Wednesday but I never got a chance to see it until today :eek:

This next picture is whats left of the bottom of the drivers side rear arch

There appears to be a fair bit of micro blistering on some of the panels which we previously thought were good so looks like many hours on the internet trying to source the panels required and another grand or 2 to chuck on the fire
Dereksjoint
Administrator
Administrator

Postby gibby » Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:10 am

Was there not an option to get it coated after Derek ?

As it'll be hard to get the paint in to all the areas and will end up all being rusty with the dampness in the air when it's getting welded
gibby
Club Member
Club Member

Postby Dereksjoint » Fri Apr 03, 2015 9:17 pm

Dereksjoint
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Adam-M » Sat Apr 04, 2015 8:35 am

Superb mate just read all the way through. Best of luck with the car!
Adam-M

Postby gibby » Sat Apr 04, 2015 10:49 am

That makes more sence that Derek thought there must have been a reason behind it lol
gibby
Club Member
Club Member

Postby mikeymikeyp » Sat Apr 04, 2015 2:47 pm

thats good progres mate and the shell aint too bad ;)
mikeymikeyp
Club Member
Club Member

Postby cutch » Fri Apr 17, 2015 5:03 am

Wish I had my shell dipped at the time but it costs a fortune doesn't it! Or is that galvanising I'm thinking of
cutch
Group Official
Group Official

Postby boeb » Fri Apr 17, 2015 10:21 am

Hahaha keep on laughing
boeb
Club Member
Club Member

Postby Dereksjoint » Fri Apr 17, 2015 9:36 pm

Dereksjoint
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Dereksjoint » Sat May 23, 2015 12:20 pm

Thought it was time to post a wee update on how the car has been progressing over the last month or so after coming back from it's dip at SPL

New front panel has been riveted in place to allow everything to line up before being welded in place

Thankfully the scabby old front floor pans are out and new repair sections are getting welded in

Inner and outer sills are being replaced both sides to allow for a fresh clean look to the panel joins between the floor sections and the sills

I've not managed to get down to see the car over the last couple of weeks as I'm back working away from home to pay for it all :doh: but the boys at MJ Racing posted some pics up on Facebook for me so I could see how it's coming along.

This was the new boot floor panel I picked up a couple of weeks ago

The troops have been busy chopping more bits off the car :cry:

After fitting new inner sill sections they added an extra reinforcement panel down the full length of both sills to help strengthen the shell as I'm reluctant to put a cage in the car.

Just awaiting a new Passenger side A pillar to arrive and the passenger side should be complete

Dereksjoint
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Dereksjoint » Fri Jun 05, 2015 11:42 pm

I managed to pop into MJ and get a look at the car today as I've been working up in Aberdeen for the last few weeks so I haven't seen much progress other than the pics the boys had previously sent me via Facebook.

I've got to admit I was pretty shocked when I saw how much work they've put into the shell over the last few weeks. I'll let the pictures do the talking

They have fitted reinforced sections around the rear chassis legs and rear cross member joints again to help strengthen the shell

Almost all of the welds still need to be buffed down but the car doesn't look to far from being finished and ready for it's return visit to SPL for another dip and an e-coat
Dereksjoint
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Dereksjoint » Tue Jul 21, 2015 8:31 pm

Well the welding works were completed some weeks ago but due to the e-coating plant being shut down for 3 weeks over the summer I'm unable to get the car back down to SPL until the start of September :doh:

Anyways here's a couple of pics of the finished shell

While the boys have been busy over the last few months welding the crap out my car I decided to tackle a job that I'd been putting off for a while.

At first the plan was just to clean the exterior casing but once I started to see shiny bits I ended up getting a wee bit carried away. I started with a wire brush then moved on to the dremel to remove all of the oxidization and cast marks.

After removing all of the cast marks with the Dremel I then spent between 300 to 400 hours hand sanding the gearbox from 120 grit all the way up to 4000 grit.

Not a job that I would recommend but I must admit I'm very happy with the end results although I will most likely go over the full box again with 2000 wet and dry just remove some minor marks and scratches that are still visible in places.
Dereksjoint
Administrator
Administrator

Postby andy-mac » Thu Jul 23, 2015 10:51 pm

that's some job you have made of the gearbox do you have any finger tips left :)
andy-mac
Club Member
Club Member

Postby Dereksjoint » Sat Jul 25, 2015 7:59 pm

Dereksjoint
Administrator
Administrator

Postby cutch » Tue Sep 01, 2015 12:16 pm

Jesus mate, that's some job on the gearbox!! Well done, you've got more patience than me.

Saw the shell leaving today for the dipping place too
cutch
Group Official
Group Official

PreviousNext

Return to Restorations & Rebuilds