West of Scotland RSOC • View topic - electrical problems

electrical problems

Are you having problems with your RS? then ask for some tech advice here.

electrical problems

Postby big ian RS » Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:44 pm

hi all,
hopefully somebody out there has had the same problem I have, my mk2 FRS has been parked up for the last three years, before I parked it up I spoke to ford to seek advice and was told that it would do no harm putting the vehicle into long term storage, recently took it out and the messages- key not recognised- vehicle operative stop and remote battery low are all displayed on the dash at different times, also the immobiliser light flashes intermittently while driving although performance doesn't seem to be affected, sometimes have starting problems as if the battery was flat, sometimes the steering lock won't disengage when entering the car, also noticed when reversing the reversing light goes on and off as does the rear fog lamp, it's been suggested the battery might be gubbed despite being connected to a C-TEK battery conditioner all the time while in storage, anyone any clue as to what it could be?, I spoke to ford and was told by the service operative I spoke to that he hadn't heard most of the problems I listed and could I bring it in so they could put it on the computer, not overly keen to do this as I have history of the local dealer abusing my cars, any help much appreciated
big ian RS

Re: electrical problems

Postby Dereksjoint » Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:57 pm

I'm not entirely sure this is relevant but I recently obtained a full Mk1 Focus RS engine management system and while I was going over the wiring I found a small secondary 12v battery in amongst the loom (looks like a small house alarm panel battery). I take it this is a standard fitment in the MK1 as the loom did not look modified in any way for the battery. I would wonder if the Mk2 has the same setup with another secondary battery which may well have discharged over the period the car has sat about. I would think it unlikely that the trickle charger would charge the secondary battery as it is wired through the ECU in the Mk1 so the engine would need to be running or ignition left on permanently for that to happen.

I may well be barking up the wrong tree but Ford have a LONG history of simply updating the last design of wiring and engine management onto there newer cars so it's probably worth looking into ;)
Dereksjoint
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mel D » Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:29 pm

Would definitely just try a new battery or borrow a mate's battery to try - amazing what a car does when the battery is knackered and 3 years is a long time with or without a conditioner.
Mel D

Postby big ian RS » Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:49 pm

hi all, an update on electrical problems, fitted new battery today and it would appear to have cured all my ills, thanks to those of you who replied, hopefully if anyone has similar problems in the future this might help, many thanks
big ian RS

Return to Technical Trouble