[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)

West of Scotland RSOC • View topic - Fuel pump

Fuel pump

Are you having problems with your RS? then ask for some tech advice here.

Fuel pump

Postby Goafer » Mon Jun 30, 2014 6:53 pm

S2 is over fueling and after re wiring new cable and relay etc it is still melting the fuse :(
I was going to buy a new pump but after reading a thread in the RSOC site I may have other things to check first.
Thing is some of the text in the posts is not very clear
Apparently it could possibly be that the fuel is meeting resistance so first thing is to put a new filter on it and check that the return is clear too , but to me if its over fueling the pipes are all clear ?
The other thing is the water temp sensor , but I am no mechanic , and this doesnt make any sense to me :roll: :roll:
I understand that this could make it over fuel when warm but how can that make the fuse heat to point of melting ?
Any help here for this dumb person will be appreciated .
Goafer
Committee
Committee

Re: Fuel pump

Postby peterRST » Mon Jun 30, 2014 7:53 pm

Hi Goafer,
If it's blowing fuses there's any over load somewhere in the wiring, just a few things I would suggest checking:

Check voltage across pump when running - if it drops below battery voltage then it's prob degraded wiring causing resistance.

Have you tried running the pump from a separate battery? That would show if the two problems are connected it's still over fuelling.

Check return line as you said - if this is blocked excess fuel won't be able to leave the metering head and return to the tank ... pushing the fuel pressure up artificially - causing over fuelling.

If the wiring is degraded and causing resistance (which my S2 suffered from I powered my pump using a big I.C.E power cable to the boot with a big relay and just used the original wire and pink relay to switch the big relay on meaning the original wire carried very little load) I had a thread about it somewhere with pictures illustrating the wiring I'll try to find it :)

PBS Engineering Ltd - Performance Engines and Motorsport Prep.
Zetec, ZVH and xflow engine building.
PEC Engine Components. KSport Braking Systems. BC Racing Suspension.
peterRST
Club Member
Club Member

Re: Fuel pump

Postby Goafer » Mon Jun 30, 2014 8:29 pm

I put it down to degraded wiring and done the re wire to a relay under the rear seat as you described some time ago Peter and initially it seemed to work but I noticed when putting on a new alternator that the fuse that I fitted near the battery had totally melted .
But as you say i need to check the voltage across the pump to see what it is and as I am just off the phone to Scott , check the accumulator under the master cylinder . I will do as you suggest Peter and try running it off another battery also , cheers :)
Goafer
Committee
Committee

Return to Technical Trouble