West of Scotland RSOC • View topic - CVH ADVICE !update!

CVH ADVICE !update!

Are you having problems with your RS? then ask for some tech advice here.

CVH ADVICE !update!

Postby weeslidy » Mon Jun 27, 2011 6:53 pm

Alrite folks, wee bit of advice required.

The Story...

Pulled car out of garage to give it a good clean, gave engine bay a good clean whilst ticking over, blasted gearbox and around cross member with light spray from my jet wash avoiding electrics etc as I always do. The car started to die and cut out. Thought fook water has got in somewhere! Kept trying to start car with no joy, everything working as in ignition, battery, starter so thought I just wasn't getting a spark. Pulled plugs out, cleaned them checked leads, coil, dizzy but still no joy. For some stupid reason I thought I could bump start it down the hill at mine so tried and was successful untill it cut out at the bottom. Therefore needed a tow and in another moment of madness I decided that while getting towed I would give it a jump and yes it fired up and kept it in gear up the hill.

Car wouldn't start again so left it.

The Problem now...

Fired new plugs in today and 1 of the old plugs broke think it had a hairline fracture which I didn't see. Tried to start car and it fired up no problem BUT there was a loud ticking noise so quickly turned it off. Note Car was running perfectly fine on its last outing 3 weeks ago.

Questions...Solutions

What do you think is the problem, could this be a bent valve?? Have highlighted bits that I think may have caused this:

WATER IN SOMEWHERE
DAMAGE DONE WHILE JUMPING/TOWING

!Does anyone know the best way to set the rocker arms on a cvh do you do them at TDC etc?!
Cheers guys
Last edited by weeslidy on Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
weeslidy
Club Member
Club Member

Re: CVH ADVICE

Postby gibby » Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:19 pm

i take it you get the broken plug out ?

and it was complete still , as in nothing fell in to the cylinder ?
gibby
Club Member
Club Member

Re: CVH ADVICE

Postby weeslidy » Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:52 pm

sorry gibby forgot to say that, yes everything out
weeslidy
Club Member
Club Member

Re: CVH ADVICE !update!

Postby vroooom ptssssh » Fri Jul 15, 2011 6:57 pm

Take the rocker cover off, usually a ticking noise on a CVH (if all valves intact :D) is a rocker stud pulled out the head or a fecked cam/tappet, both of which may hinder it starting.

what CVH btw, carb, mfi, efi...?
She runs again!
vroooom ptssssh

Return to Technical Trouble