[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)

West of Scotland RSOC • View topic - How do I remove dried on polish splatter?

How do I remove dried on polish splatter?

For all your car cleaning questions and advice embrace your inner bufty

How do I remove dried on polish splatter?

Postby Iain Mac » Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:29 pm

My car spent rather too long at the painters after I broke my ankle and when it came home there were spots of white all over the wheels, controls etc. I had thought it was primer but he says it is "just" polish from when he went over the fresh paint.

The forward lip of the spoiler is worst because every time I look in the mirror I can see the swirls.

How do I get this off, though?
Iain Mac

Re: How do I remove dried on polish splatter?

Postby Grant » Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:49 pm

I can't really offer much help here, but if anyone is likely to know then it'd be rab (shine n show) his number is on the banner at the top of the page, give him a wee ring!
Grant
Website Gaffer
Website Gaffer

Postby jimmyson » Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:14 pm

if its polish on the plastics you are on about
then a simple rubber as in school rubber not the other sort...........lol
should take it off no probs then some of the polish for plastic's (theres loads)
and it should look fine..........
jimmyson
Group Official
Group Official

Postby Shine&Show » Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:56 pm

Hi dried polish can be a nightmare to remove have spent a lot of time trying to get dried polish from several cars including my own which had a spray job at some point first piece of advice please don't use a rubber on any painted surfaces it will heavily marks your paint might not you might not see the marks now but when any light or sun hits it you'll see it and the rubber will also mark the plastics you'll have to clean them again to get rid of the rubber marks get some cars in that kids have attack with rubbers and pencils best thing to do is get so good strong detergant in warm water found that to be really affective with dried polish for inside the car just wet a cloth with the warm water and getergant on paint or alloys ect just spray it on leave for a few minutes then gently wipe of with a good microfibre cloth if the polish is in a place you cant get into to wipe with a cloth just rinse of with water if it doesn't come of first time just repeat the process try not to use to much pressure when trying to wipe it of if was done in a bodyshop it will no doubt be a heavy compound plish i.e Feracla G3 or similar so you could scratch the paint with the compount thats left over, took me 4 or 5 paces to remove some of the dried polish from mine.
Shine&Show
Club Member
Club Member

Postby rossco » Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:13 pm

As rab said above most car polish will be removed by using a warm soapy liquid if its heavy polish. if its light polish I find that adding fresh polish to it removes it but only if its light polish.
rossco

Postby Iain Mac » Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:29 pm

Cheers chaps. The car has been washed a few times to no effect, but I'll give it another go, concentrating on these bits, next time we have a dry day that isn't freezing cold.
Iain Mac

Return to Detailing Room