[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)

West of Scotland RSOC • View topic - Polish........

Polish........

For all your car cleaning questions and advice embrace your inner bufty

Polish........

Postby T-man » Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:16 am

Hi all, I've got a question for all. Ive got a black 1988 motor, which has had paint work and I was wondering which was better? I've researched both products but I thought I would ask you guys your thoughts on then. First is the autoglym ultra deep shine and the second is poor boys black hole? Or if you guys could recommend another product. I'm looking for best finish and the easiest to work with.

Thanks in advance,
T-man
T-man

Re: Polish........

Postby fastfordrab » Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:11 pm

i use autoglym super resin polish and then a seal it off with meguiars goldclass carnauba plus premium past wax :)
fastfordrab

Postby jimmyson » Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:20 pm

i would agree to useing a good carnauba wax to finish of with
thers lots of them out there from £10-£50
but for the shows i you's do-do juice purple haze good for dark cars
jimmyson
Group Official
Group Official

Postby T-man » Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:29 pm

Thanks guys for the quick response, I've used autoglym super high resin polish then a coat of autoglym polish sealant and the results were good, I was told that the ultra deep polish is even better! And it was just the one step. When I was reseraching the ultra deep shine people were commenting on the poorboys black hole. Man am so confused! I noticed that some of you guys mixed diffrent products, I thought this was a no-no?

T-man
T-man

Postby fastfordrab » Thu Feb 03, 2011 1:59 pm

old wifes tale m8 mix and match thats what a say but a do recomend finishin off with a good carnauba paste wax :)
fastfordrab

Postby jimmyson » Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:20 pm

its mostly trial and error but buy and try what you want then decide whats best for you
but as above finish off with a good carnauba wax as it has no chalk in it so doesent leave the car
with all the white marks on the black plastick and seals that you get from e.g autoglym super resin
hope this helps and doesent just add to the confussion
jimmyson
Group Official
Group Official

Postby Dereksjoint » Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:22 pm

The best advice I could give is stay away from products that say they do 2 or 3 things as they are Generally all Poooo.

Polish is only a paint cleanser and thats all it should be used for, most of the ones mentioned are all good hand polish products personally I use Chemical Guys Pro Polish really good stuff and even better when machined rather than hand polished ;)

If you want to keep the new shiney look then invest in some good sealant or wax, personally I use Chemical Guys JETSEAL 109 truely amazing stuff although at £22 a bottle it ain't cheap but I'll swear it's the best sealant there is. Paste wax is a good idea, there are many out there and in general the price reflects how long the Wax finish will last. I user Chemical guys 50/50 paste wax and the finish is fantastic and lasts a long time.

Generally I'll give the Fiesta a coat of Jetseal and wax every 5 months and regardless how dirty the car is after a wash it's always super shiney. Washing the car is so much easier too as nothing sticks to the paintwork due to the sealant and wax so tar spots and dirt fall off the car. It's been easily 6 months since the Fiesta was last detailed and it was still gleaming in the car park at last nights Meet with rain water beading all over it 8-)
Dereksjoint
Administrator
Administrator

Postby T-man » Sun Feb 06, 2011 7:50 pm

Wow information overload! Ok this is what I've taken from all the responces, after polishing ensure to use a quality wax. It's also ok to mix and match diffrent products, it's all about trial and error. This might sound like a cop out, but I was thinking about sending her to a detailer for paint correction and a polish, basically the works on the paint work so that way it's done correcty and all I have to do is keep on top of it?

T-man
T-man

Postby Dereksjoint » Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:03 pm

Dereksjoint
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Shine&Show » Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:32 pm

cant really say more than has been said, autoglym is ok used the super resin polish around £15 finished of with autoglym high definition wax around £40- gave a good finish but there is better products out there, most decent polishes are about £10 to £20 or so there is some that are more expesive, waxes on the other hand is what your willing to pay for try to pay at least £30 for a good entry carnauba wax.Its ok to mix and match products but at the end of the day its more down to personal preference of which products you use.
would recommend giving davie at Chemical Guys a shout youll get everything you need for a good price. http://www.chemicalguysuk.com/
Before putting any sealants and waxes on the car make sure its as clean as possible.

wash car
clay bar
polish
sealant(optional)
wax

If you are not sure about anything feel free to pm me anytime, or if you want to save yourself the work give me a shout would be happy to do it for you.
Shine&Show
Club Member
Club Member

Postby ally7th » Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:25 am

when I had my black cossie I would clay bar it, machine polish with meguiars #83 cleaner polish
then go over it with poorboys black hole then a quick spray and buff with autoglym fast wax
it looked ok-

ImageImage
ally7th

Postby T-man » Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:52 am

Hi ally, I think its better than ok! It looks great! Really really deep finish. I don't have access to a machine polish, do you think poor boys black hole then a coat of autoglym wax sealant could give me the same finish? Have you tryed autoglym ultra deep shine just it self or heard and reports on it?

Cheers
T-man
T-man

Postby jimmyson » Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:11 pm

jimmyson
Group Official
Group Official

Postby ally7th » Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:52 pm

when I was just giving my car a quick polish I would use poorboys black hole then wax
brought it up great
ImageImage
ally7th

Postby T-man » Sun Mar 06, 2011 8:22 pm

Ok ok, after a few tinnys on the saturday night and falling out with the other half, I woke on the Sunday on the couch, in my infinte wisdom I decided to put into practice what various people have advised me to do in the polish department. I first washed the car taken my time to ensure that I cought all areas. Rinsed it and dried it with an autogylm symethetic chamois. Then used autoglym tar remover. Then went over it with autoglym paint renovator. Then I got some autoglym ultra deep shine polish, I polished it 3 times as I thought the paint looked like it was getting a "deeper" shine. While removing the polish I used the autoglym micro fibre finishing cloth "good stuff" I then used autoglym high definition wax, this was the first time I had used this as I had bought it on a whim, but was very impressed.I used another autoglym micro fibre finishing cloth. I've put 2 coats of HD wax on it so far, my new question is, is it worth while putting more coats of HD wax on? Will it make it even "deeper"?

Cheers,
T-man
T-man

Postby Dereksjoint » Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:45 pm

Happy days mate, I wouldn't bother with more wax to be honest 1 or 2 coats is perfect but I would say top it up every 3 or 4 months and that way you want need to polish the car again as the wax will never wear off enough to mark the shiney paint below. You'll definatley notice the cars a lot easier to wash from now on even tar spots won't fully stick to the paint so fall off a lot easier
Dereksjoint
Administrator
Administrator

Postby jimmyson » Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:17 pm

as before just keep topping it up when ever you can....................
jimmyson
Group Official
Group Official

Postby T-man » Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:00 pm

Thanks guys, alot of top advice there! I will keep topping the wax up as advised! It's the first time I've used a wax and I was very impressed at how easy the wax was to use! The last time I used wax, which was Many Many moons ago, it was pure torture! Thanks again guys!

T-man
T-man

Return to Detailing Room