[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)

West of Scotland RSOC • View topic - Drift Sapphire - video page 9

Drift Sapphire - video page 9

For all your resto & rebuild Pics.

Drift Sapphire - video page 9

Postby Ade » Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:40 pm

While the Capri is off road at Chizfab being turned into a 24v linked up fully sorted beast I've got myself a temporary drifty toy to keep me amused/skint. Soon it's going to get slammed, welded diff and maybe a quick tart up and strip out too....

Starting off I found it a lot harder than expected to find a cheap MOT'd 2.0 Sierra..... most were well over £500 and far away. This one turned on the Bay in Thurso of all places (round the corner from bloody John O'Groats!). Some last minute bidding got it for £275 with 6 months test.

So we set off for the north coast of Scotland in my mate Tom's stupid old Merc......

It didn't last long.... We got to Pitlochry before a halfshaft started to self desctruct!

Back on track with an Astra blagged from Pitlochry Hire Cars we headed north..

A bit of haggling with the seller and it was mine for £250. (a wing was beyond fooked and I'm quite sure he was well aware that the pix in the sale didn't show that up properly!).

All set for 300 miles south now!

It made it back totally fine, real comfy to drive and a genuine 72k on the clock backed up with MOts and service history!
Next day was a shoot at Crail which i took it along to as firstly it was the only car I had out of my 5(!) that was working, and I was sure I could get a cheeky skid in too....

Shoot wrapped up so lets go play!

Really tall wobbly suspension and the open diff was never going to be great but it was still miles better than my Capri already! Scandy flicks and actual handling more like a real car rather than a broken shopping trolley was possible!
I was really impressed with it! Only thing I felt could be a problem was the steering which was really slow, laggy and jerky. The PAS resovoir even overflowed.... not sure if they just are like that or this one has a problem?

I really should have taken some spare wheels, but the car was packed with photo gear, and I'm used to the Capri which takes a full day to kill tyres! :lol:

Big thanks to the Carnage guys Dalsy, Imsy and Davie for helping me out with some emergency repairs this evening too! :thumbup:
Last edited by Ade on Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ade
Club Member
Club Member

Re: Drift Sapphire

Postby SHIFTY » Tue Jun 16, 2009 7:38 am

8-) Im liking the look o that Ade! 8-) :D
Some didtance you went for it aswell! :o :lol:

Whens the Capri gonna be ready jew think? 8-)
SHIFTY

Postby peterRST » Tue Jun 16, 2009 8:49 am

that looks like a LOT of fun . . . for not a lot of cash - bonus!! :D :D

PBS Engineering Ltd - Performance Engines and Motorsport Prep.
Zetec, ZVH and xflow engine building.
PEC Engine Components. KSport Braking Systems. BC Racing Suspension.
peterRST
Club Member
Club Member

Postby Ade » Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:41 am

Yep, sure is fun. Will be even more so with a welder and proper suspension!

Capri isn't getting rushed, but ir won't be as long as some of my other projects that's for sure :lol:
Ade
Club Member
Club Member

Postby Stu/RS » Tue Jun 16, 2009 10:26 am

Good drift car with the welded diff Ade.
We had my old twin cam sierra for Crail and killed it to death :twisted:

Mine was a bit cheaper, second time round. Sold it for a bottle of Buckfast and bought back for a bottle 3 years later.
NOW THATS A DEAL :lol: :lol: :lol:

good luck with it :D
"IF YOU WEREN'T THERE, YOU WONT UNDERSTAND"
Stu/RS
Group Official
Group Official

Postby Ade » Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:11 am

I really never expected them to be fetching as good money as they do..... can't seem to get anything decent under £500 normally, (and that's if you can even find one!).
Cowdenbeath has just eaten up nearly every Sierra in central Scotland! :o
Ade
Club Member
Club Member

Postby Olivera » Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:27 pm

:lol: looks well cool! Quite a bit of play in the suspension though :o
Gone:

Olivera

Postby rs200boy » Tue Jun 16, 2009 10:17 pm

good buy that slideee on :ugeek:
IMMIGRANT FROM C+E GROUP :D :D
rs200boy

Postby Ade » Tue Jun 16, 2009 10:47 pm

Ade
Club Member
Club Member

Postby Kevin_Mc » Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:57 am

looks alright for the money Ade, a wee bargain.

that Cowdenbeith has a lot to answer for, ever time i go to Racewall i feel a tear in my eye :( :lol:
Kevin_Mc
Club Member
Club Member

Postby col cos » Thu Jun 18, 2009 7:07 pm

looks ok ade

your right,gone are the days of yellow paper with loads of £150 sierras
col cos

Postby Ade » Thu Jun 18, 2009 8:14 pm

Ade
Club Member
Club Member

Postby peterRST » Thu Jun 18, 2009 8:56 pm

Is the capri going to Crail Ade? Wot sort of set up do you use for drifting? Are cars set up differently than for regular track use i take it?

PBS Engineering Ltd - Performance Engines and Motorsport Prep.
Zetec, ZVH and xflow engine building.
PEC Engine Components. KSport Braking Systems. BC Racing Suspension.
peterRST
Club Member
Club Member

Postby Ade » Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:16 pm

Ade
Club Member
Club Member

Postby rofulton » Sat Jun 20, 2009 1:41 pm

I love reading your adventures 8-)
looks another good buy
I can't find fook all for sub £500 when I need to!
rofulton

Postby rosco » Fri Jun 26, 2009 7:59 am

looks/drifts much better now after a marathon at chizfab yesterday!! Lookin forward to saturday mate 8-)
rosco

Postby Ade » Sat Jun 27, 2009 11:22 pm

Cheers guys!

Saph did well at the big drift day today..... clutch eventually gave up but it'll be all good soon.
And it looks real hot now! Pix soon.....
Ade
Club Member
Club Member

Postby Alex_SI » Mon Jun 29, 2009 6:37 am

Sweet :mrgreen: always wanted to try drifting looke like good fun, cant wait to see pics :D
Alex_SI

Postby Ade » Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:33 pm

I can't go nuts with the pix as they're technically all for a feature, but here's a few to let everyone get a taster....

Strip

Weld

Cut

A quick play when the Koni Cossie 4x4 suspension & brakes were fitted was in order of course :D

Random bumper tug of war!

Working into the night.....

Cossie bits & Wellers fitted etc, plus paint and the 24 hour drift build looks like this! :D :D :D :D

Skids!

Ade
Club Member
Club Member

Postby SHIFTY » Thu Jul 02, 2009 6:38 am

Looks the part now Ade 8-) wheels, paint job and cossie bits looks sweet! 8-) :D
Thats some welding mask yer man has! :lol:

Whens your next outing in the car?
SHIFTY

Next

Return to Restorations & Rebuilds