[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)

West of Scotland RSOC • View topic - My Fez is broken!

My Fez is broken!

Are you having problems with your RS? then ask for some tech advice here.

Re: My Fez is broken!

Postby John. » Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:14 am

Hi Mel.
I agree with the above, with the rough description of the noise it sounds like it could be the alternator bearing has collapsed (especially as you had just started it and driven off from house, where alternator is under more load to re-charge the battery).
It could also be the water pump, but this is driven by the timing belt on the CVH, so easiest place to try is the alternator first.
John.
Club Member
Club Member

Postby Mel D » Sun Nov 27, 2011 5:56 pm

Hi everyone,

I managed a quick look in between storms today! Didn't have time to take off alternator belt but I'm off tomorrow. Just looking around I have a bolt missing on the manifold but when I started the car the noise wasn't there and i let it idle for ages. So I'm going more towards Alternator bearing or clutch bearing. I will take it for a drive tomorrow, I live on a private drive to a big house so I won't have to go on road and be a nuisance lol! At least it hasn't blown up or anything :D
Do I have to jack the car up to take the alternator belt off or will I be able to slacken the alternator from the top?

I remember many years ago changing the alternator on our Mk2 XR2. My husband and friend left me to it and I was all chuffed with myself until they took it for a drive then had to walk back as I forgot to attach the wires :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Well you live and learn!

Cheers for all the tips :D
Mel D

Postby jimmyson » Sun Nov 27, 2011 8:01 pm

at least you tried mel
it's a lot more than most people will do...........
jimmyson
Group Official
Group Official

Postby Stu/RS » Mon Nov 28, 2011 6:00 pm

"IF YOU WEREN'T THERE, YOU WONT UNDERSTAND"
Stu/RS
Group Official
Group Official

Postby Mel D » Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:14 pm

Well I had a good look round the fiesta and managed a quick run out in it, it is not making any noises now which is freaking me out more than when it was, I didn't imagine it :)

Anyway it is going to be "wintered" down in Dumfries as my garage leaks and I'm moving anyway. So it will get a look over by my mechanic before I drive it down there.

Think I might wait until the flood waters go down a bit!!

Cheers for all the advice :D
Mel D

Postby Mel D » Thu Dec 01, 2011 6:18 pm

Got mechanic to have a look at Fez today, he changed the fan belt as it was chewed by the corroded pulleys! So there is another job for me to try in the future but it will be ok for now. The pulleys must have been a bit seized hence the noise.

Cheers very much for the advice guys :D
Mel D

Postby Miss Emma_RS » Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:38 pm

Glad alls sorted Mel :)
Miss Emma_RS
Club Member
Club Member

Postby Reid » Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:01 pm

Quick tip for you mel, if you ever think the likes of the alternator bearings have went in future, get a half inch extension bar (or similar), touch the end you would put a socket on off the alternator and stick your ear against the other end. The metal amplifies the sound and lets you know if the bearings are away - this will work on power steering pumps, water pumps, etc as well. Infact pretty much anything that has a pulley and bearings.

Glad its sorted!
Reid

Postby Mel D » Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:17 pm

Cheers for the tip, I know the rear bearing in my Scoobys alternator is on the way out, my mechanic has a stethascope (don't know how to spell it) which I found very amusing when he was listening to various parts :D
Mel D

Postby ds restos » Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:51 pm

ds restos

Previous

Return to Technical Trouble